09 April 2018
Second Language Methodology (CUIN 4361)
Second Language Methodology (CUIN 4361)
Class Reflection
Over
the course of this class, my understanding and learning of English Language
Learners has expanded by leaps and bounds. Initially, I was worried about how
this class would go being that it is online, but I have been able to obtain
knowledge as I would in any online class. In order to obtain all of the
knowledge possible in this class, I would often read the textbook and take
notes over the material. Any of the areas I was unsure about I would look in
the index to see if there were definitions or better explanations that could
help me understand it better. I also would watch the videos because it helped
to hear other people talking and giving examples of the content.
In
terms of my understanding of second language or additional language, I
understand that it is difficult to learn a second language without the support
of your peers, educators, administrators and parents. I learned that for my
students to succeed in learning a second language that it is helpful if they
develop their capabilities in their home language. Initially, I thought for
students to learn a new language that they had to abandon home language because
it would help them to learn faster. Another thing that I understand about
learning a second language is that students tend to do better when they are
doing it with their peers. Meaning that if they are able to collaborate and
speak to people around their age, it will help them to feel more comfortable.
Being
that I plan to become an English teacher, this class will be instrumental in
teaching ELL students new parts of language. This begins with the basics such
as phonemes, spelling, syntax, morphology etc. These areas are the building
blocks of language and it will be important to emphasize these areas to my ELL
students. An area that I think could receive less attention in future classes
is the Assessment section. Being that there is a chapter about Language and
Education Policies for ELLs, I think the assessments and accommodations
portions could be integrated into that portion of the text. Two areas that
could have received more attention are Program Models and Language Learning and
Teaching. Being that there are many different program models, I do not think
that each portion was explained that well because I am not able to understand
the difference between some of the models. Also, in the Language Learning and
Teaching chapter, many different theories and hypothesis were presented, but it
does not distinguish which is best.
This
class has made me more compassionate and understanding to English Language
Learners. Now that I understand the fight that protestors have went through and
the constant changes in legislation that ELLs have went through, I understand
how important this is. After doing the observations in the classrooms, it makes
me realize that the students want to learn. Most times, I would think that they
did not want to learn English, but it is simply that they have difficulties. I
see how much students enjoy interacting and I know that with patience they will
be able to accomplish all of their individual goals to learn language.

I always thought students who were learning English as a second language needed to do so through repetition, drills and only using English as a guide. But like you, this class has shown me that my initial view is not true. There are many ways that someone can learn English as a second language or learn a different language in general. I truly believe now that using the student language and culture alongside English; provides a better learning experience. Bilingual instruction provides students the opportunity to strengthen their proficiency and literacy in English and in their home language (Wright, 2015, p. 90). One of our goals as a teacher is to make sure our students comprehend the information we are delivering. An effective way to make content comprehensible for an English language learner, is when it’s taught in the student home language (Wright, 2015, p. 91).
ReplyDeleteWright, W.E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English language learners: research, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Thank you Nicole for you response!
DeleteI completely agree with your new revelations. When I was learning how to speak Spanish it my teachers continued to use methods of repetition and drills and activities that were supposed to help us learn. It is obvious that repetitive vocabulary drills are inadequate in English language acquisition. After multiple observations, I understand the effect of home language instruction and second language acquisition. This is one of the best methods of attaining understanding. Home language instruction as Wright (2015) explains, is the teaching of literacy or content-area instruction in the ELLs home language (p.91). This has multiple benefits, being that ELLs will be able to understand the material being taught to them.
Wright, W.E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English language learners: research, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Nadia, I think it is critical for students to value and attain their fluency in their home language. As a teacher, it is also important to make sure to acknowledge student's diverse languages and help them make use of the language to the best of your ability. This also gives students a sense of value and makes them embrace their culture more. Studies have also shown that the most efficient programs make an effort to help student's with their home languages. According to Wright (2015), "The highest-quality programs help students become fully bilingual and biliterate in English and their home languages (p. 308)."
ReplyDeleteThank you for your participation Emerald!
DeleteI like how you address that students need to feel that their culture including their language are embraced at their school. Wright (2015) states that “[ELLs] are disadvantaged when schools do not recognize, value and incorporate these differences” (p.19). By “these difference” he meant cultural and linguistic differences. Meaning that these programs should promote, as you have stated, complete biliteracy, to avoid the melting pot effect or assimilation.
Hello Nadia,
ReplyDeleteWhen I read what you said about how when students collaborate and speak to people around their age, it will help them feel more comfortable. Even though I am not an ELL and I have only known how to speak English I still feel as if this applied to me when I was younger. I was always to shy to talk to people but when I was around my friends or other kids my age I felt so comfortable. The same goes for ELLs especially since they do not already speak the same language they are shy. If they are around more students their age and learning to speak English through social interaction with peers it can truly enhance their confidence and self esteem levels. According to Wright, “To provide the most effective instruction possible, ESL and classroom teachers need to work collaboratively” (p. 113). Teachers need to help make this happen by working together and prompting social interaction.
Thank you for your commentary Emily!
DeleteAlthough I have never been a shy child, I am sure that it important to be comfortable in the classroom before feeling inclined to speak. A way that we can aid ELL students in speaking during class is respecting their silent period and wait time. In summary, Wright (2015) explains that this is a period before they decide to begin speaking and the time that ELLs take to process information before responding (p.155-156). During this phase ELLs are still learning and after getting through this phase ELLs will be more inclined to speak out and collaborate with their peers.
Wright, W.E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English language learners: research, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.